Pre- and Postworkout Nutrition
How to Get the Most Out of Your Workout
(Click for a 1-page .pdf of this page)
Exercise and King and Nutrition is Queen. Put them together and you have a kingdom."
Should I Eat Before My Workout?
- The National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) recommends having at least 1 gram of carbohydrate per kilogram of body weight 1 hour before exercising. (1)
- This can increase your exercise performance by as much as 20%! (2)
This means that someone weighing 125 pounds (56.7 kilograms) should consume at least 57 grams of carbohydrate 1 hour before their workout.
How Much Protein/Carbohydrate After Exercising?
- The NSCA recommends 1.5 grams of carbohydrate per kilogram of body weight and 20 grams of whey protein within 30 minutes to 2 hours of finishing your workout. (3)
- NoFo Crunch
- North Fork of Long Island
- Only 7 ingredients
- Banana with Almond Butter
- Barney Butter www.BarneyButter.com
- Core Power Drink - www.corepower.com
- NOW Foods Whey Protein
- Raw Dairy
- Llewyn Farms Riverhead, NY
- Campbell BI. The NSCAs Guide to Sport and Exercise Nutrition. Human Kinetics Publishing. 2011, page 153
- Hawley JA. Carbohydrate-loading and exercise performance. An update. Sports Medicine 1997; 24(2):73-81
Campbell BI. The NSCAs Guide to Sport and Exercise Nutrition. Human Kinetics Publishing. 2011, page 180
Have A Question About Pre- and Postworkout Nutrition?
Call (631-352-7654) or Email (PitchingDoc@msn.com) Dr. Arnold!